Maysoon Zayid Inspires Others To Laugh At Their Disabilities

“I have cerebral palsy. I shake all the time,” Maysoon Zayid announces at the beginning of this exhilarating, hilarious talk presented by TEDWomen at the annual conference in San Francisco on December 4, 2013. “I’m like Shakira meets Muhammad Ali.” With grace and wit, the Arab-American comedian takes us on a whirlwind tour of her adventures as an actress, stand-up comic, philanthropist and advocate for the disabled.

Early in her acting career, Maysoon Zayid realized she’d get a lot more stage time if she showed off how funny she was. As she states, “It became very obvious to me that in the United States of America, a fluffy ethnic disabled chick was never going to get a job unless she did stand-up.” Don’t think Zayid is fishing for sympathy though. She makes it very clear that through comedy and confidence, Cerebral Palsy is not stopping her from living her dreams and making a positive difference in the world!

To provide support and learn more about Cerebral Palsy, please visit CECO: Conductive Education Center of Orlando

Be First to Comment