Blog Post 4

When we received this project I was nervous about what to do. I didn’t know who to interview, and I was also scared that whomever I decided to pick to interview wouldn’t want to do it and then I would have to go and find someone else, but I was extremely fortunate to have gotten the chance to interview Dr. Thomas. The interview was a fantastic experience that ended up being a breeze. It was easy for us to talk because we sat in her home and we had already known each other because I had played college sports with her two daughters. Everything just flowed and felt almost like a normal casual conversation.

Dr. Thomas was a great person to interview. She has so much personality and is one of kindest people I have ever met. The way she spoke with such passion and joy about her job bought a smile to my face. I could ask her one question and she would go on and on, and I just sat there in amazement at all of the stories she was telling me. I had no idea that being a Vet was as difficult a job as it is. I loved her stories about being in vet school and all of the interesting exotic animals she got to take care of and learn from.

I realized during our interview that listening plays a larger part in being a Vet than I thought. It didn’t really click with me until she talked about her patients cannot physically communicate with her so she has to really rely on listening to the pet’s owners to fully understand what is going on. I was also surprised to find out that therapeutic listening played such a large role in her job as well. It had never occurred to me that comforting pet owners is part of the job of being a vet. I also learned that geography can create barriers to listening when she spoke about how people with different accents and make it hard to understand and become fully aware of what is wrong with the animal.

While I may never become a vet myself, my interview with Dr. Thomas so me there is so much more to being a Vet than just taking care of sick animals. You really have to be a good listener and be an understanding person because you are working with patients who have others advocating for them

One thought on “Blog Post 4

1. graponi@rollins.edu November 12, 2016 / 1:55 am

I am glad you had a good interview experience even though you didn’t think you would at the beginning. Dr. Thomas sounds like a great person and an awesome veterinarian. I never thought of a veterinarian having to listen, I always thought that they didn’t have to because their patient can’t talk to them. So that was very interesting to hear. You did a great job with your interview and it taught me a lot!