Blog Post 4

Although there were bumps in the road to get to the actual interview I think a lot of important information was covered. We talked about the main differences she saw between public and private healthcare, barriers between doctors and patients, the stereotypes given the barriers, and how she has learned to give bad news effectively.

I found that when she was talking about the differences she has seen between public and private healthcare, she brought up some of the barriers and stereotypes we later talked about. Even though she is a good doctor she can be frustrated by communication barriers and her knowing that her patients do not hear anything after she says the initial bad news of the diagnosis can be disheartening and concerning especially if they patient does not pay attention and misses what they have to do.

She said that some of her patients do not want to do what she is telling them to do or do not believe their diagnosis. This was confusing to me. Although understanding that changing your whole lifestyle can be very difficult and the thought of being useless during pregnancy can be hard for a mom. If you think of it from the perspective of the mother it is more understood but I can see how the barriers form. While she was talking about this you could definitely see she took the side of “doctor always right”.

Now in private healthcare she is more likely to see patients who are more proactive during their pregnancy. These are the women that found out they had a high risk pregnancy and chose to seek alternative advice which means they should be more proactive. Where she worked previously, the women who were her patients were forced to see her (not all of her patients in public healthcare were like this)

It was interesting interviewing my mother, although she was not the one I planned to interview her stances on healthcare were still very interesting and on a topic I am interested in.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post 4

1. aalbornoz@rollins.edu November 13, 2016 / 3:16 am

Hi Claudia,

Your interview sounds like it was very interesting. Just this blog post alone reminds me of what a difficult profession a doctor can have, especially when patients do not listen or cooperate. I”m sure it is already tough on your mom when she has to deliver bad news to a patient, let alone when they deny it or don’t listen to what they have to do because they are so worried.

2. jshelest@rollins.edu November 14, 2016 / 1:49 am

Hi Claudia,

It sounds like to me that you got the most of out your interview. Although you interviewed your mom, you were able to get a lot of insightful information about healthcare! Just like you mentioned above, it must be really hard for your mother to deliver bad news to her patients particularly since they don’t believe their diagnoses and don’t listen to her. That is something that happens sometimes and I think you mom knows of the best approach since she has been doing this for a long time. Im glad you were able to get a lot of information from this interview since it is a profession that you might be interested in pursing!