Blog #2

The professional I am planning on interviewing is Veterinarian Dr. Cynthia Thomas. Dr. Thomas graduated from The University of Florida getting a degree in Veterinary Medicine in 1986. Dr. Thomas currently works at Shaffer Animal Hospital in Oviedo and has two dogs of her own. Dr. Thomas’s daughters both attended Rollins and played on the women’s lacrosse team.

I am interested in interviewing Dr. Thomas because Vets, I believe, are part of the helping profession even though they are not technically helping humans. In a way I believe that listening could be even more important to a vet because the animals themselves cannot speak to us. This makes communications between the pet owner and the vet critical. It may in fact be more so “listening” than hearing that is important. I think that it will be very interesting to find out just how much listening impacts a vet, and they actually find themselves listening more than anything because with patients who cannot actually talk you have to be more in tune to other things that are going on. I also chose to interview Dr. Thomas because when I was younger I had an interest in becoming a vet, while that is no longer the current path I am taking, I am still interested in what it takes to be a vet.