Jane Field: New Assistant Curator and Liaison at [True] Stories

IMG_7145Hello! My name is Jane Field, and I’m excited to be the new Curatorial Assistant and Liaison at [True] Stories.  I come here fresh from the Master’s program at the University of Texas, Austin’s School of Information. While at UT, I focused on archives, because I’m fascinated by the way communities construct and maintain systems of memory. My interest in memory goes back to my undergraduate years at Bard College, during which I studied abroad in St. Petersburg, Russia. The Soviet government had a reputation for playing fast and loose with history, and after my time there I knew I wanted to go into a field that respects cultural memory.  At UT, I began learning about how communities can reclaim their own narratives by sharing their histories, and how archives are helping to facilitate this process. I’ve been lucky to work for the past few months at the Texas After Violence Project, where I’ve been creating an online collection of research materials about inmates who were sentenced to execution in Texas during the 20th century. (If you haven’t yet, check out more about the TAVP’s oral history work in the [True] Stories webinar with the executive director, Gabriel Solis

Throughout the years, I’ve worked as a waitress, a librarian, a substitute teacher, and held various other jobs, but the most exciting work I’ve done has happened since I decided to pursue archives and information. I’m thrilled, at the start of this new career, to be working with [True] Stories: not only facilitating the creation of oral histories, but aiding the teachers who are ensuring that the oral history process continues to be taught and incorporated into classrooms around the country.

I hope that I can be useful to everyone involved in this project. Please feel free to contact me at about anything. I’m here to help!envelope

janerogersfield@gmail.com