The Student-Debt Crisis Isn’t What You Think

I found this article a very interesting read.  It talks about how student debt and how recently it is being accumulated by a specific group of students, nontraditional students.  A quote from the article states “Half of all student borrowers in 2011 attended a for-profit or two-year college, yet this group represented 70 percent of defaults, according to economists Adam Looney of the Treasury Department and Constantine Yannelis of Stanford University.” This is a staggering number.  It is also quite scary from someone who is a nontraditional student like me.  I want my education to improve my quality of life, not add more of a burden.  The article goes on to talk about the demographic of these students, older and first-generation that do not go into college directly after high school.  The issue that is arising is that when the nontraditional students are not earning more when they are leaving these institutions, if they are completing the programs at all.  They are having difficulty in their ability to pay back the loans.  There has been talk by politicians on how to make college affordable and/or make paying back the debt more reasonable.

Cook, Nancy. “The Student-Debt Crisis Isn’t what You Think.” National journal Sep 16 2015ProQuest. Web. 8 Apr. 2016 .