Understanding the Working College Student: New Research and Its Implications for Policy and Practice

This book interested me because I am a working student.  The book is divided into sections that go over topics like the funding of a college education, meeting the demands of multiple roles of student and employee and student identity.  It also has suggestions for institutions on what may relieve some of the factors that contribute to these stressors. The overview draws some conclusions about the costs and benefits of working while in college and suggests valuable insights for higher education institutions.  I found this to be poignant for me as I am concerned about most of the topics covered.  I my experience the financial aspect of getting a higher education is significant.  I do not want to accumulate a lot of debt for my education but I know that in the long view it will assist me in earning a better wage than I am now.  To the same effect of working while being a student, I do feel more disconnected from college experience than I would as a traditional student that my only focus was my education.

Jillian Kinzie. “Understanding the Working College Student: New Research and Its Implications for Policy and Practice (review).” Journal of College Student Development 52.5 (2011): 631-633. Project MUSE. Web. 11 Mar. 2016. <https://muse.jhu.edu/>.