Travel in Florida during the 1890s
Thesis Statement: The growing popularity of travel by train from the north to the south made the city of Winter Park and other cities in Florida, with their various hotels and attractions, affluent vacation and tourist destinations during the last decades of the nineteenth century.
Maps of Photo Locations
Conclusion: The new innovations of traveling was one of the main reasons that Florida became a popular tourist spot. Traveling by train made visiting Florida much easier for people that lived in the northern parts of the United States. Florida was also a major tourist area because of the various attractions and amenities that it had, including extravagant hotels located in Winter Park, St. Augustine, Tampa, and many other cities. During the 1890s, many traveled to Florida to escape the cold northern weather. Winter Park was growing in its popularity and status as an enjoyable vacation town because of the Seminole Hotel, the Rogers House, its many lakes, and the numerous activities it offered its visitors.
This photo essay was inspired by this history engine episode: “A Southern Jaunt”: Winter Park and the Seminole Hotel
- Seminole Hotel, 1899, Rollins College Archives, http://archives.rollins.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/wpandcfl/id/434/rec/1
- Rogers House Before Remodeling, Rollins College Archives, http://archives.rollins.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/wpandcfl/id/432/rec/1
- Atlantic Coast Line Station, 1889, Rollins College Archives, http://archives.rollins.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/wpandcfl/id/735/rec/2
- Henry Flagler’s Home “Whitehall” in Palm Beach, Fla., Henry Morrison, 1830-1913, Photographs, Rollins College Archives, http://archives.rollins.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/wpandcfl/id/551/rec/2
- Ponce de Leon Hotel in St. Augustine, Fla., Henry Morrison , 1830-1913, Photographs, Rollins College Archives, http://archives.rollins.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/wpandcfl/id/550/rec/10
- Altamonte Hotel, Postcard, Rollins College Archives, http://archives.rollins.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/wpandcfl/id/609/rec/50
- Seminole Hotel on Lake Osceola, 1891, Rollins College Archives, http://archives.rollins.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/wpandcfl/id/783/rec/1
- Milford, Margaret; Park Avenue, Winter Park, 2014.
- Milford, Margaret; Park Plaza Hotel, Winter Park, 2014.
- Milford, Margaret; Amtrak Station, Winter Park, 2014.