Civil Rights Continue Presently

I have moved around the country for the majority of my life, most recently hailing from Washington State, one of the absolute whitest places, as far as I’m concerned, on the planet. I went to a public high school where I could probably count the entire African American and Hispanic population on two hands. Though the majority of the people there have no notion of racial diversity, and therefore racial discrimination, you can still see Dr. King’s impact reverberate through the gay rights movement that is taking place now, specifically in Washington. Dr. King represented a peaceful, though perceptible, end to discrimination of all types, and his methods and ideologies are prevalent even today, as with the gay rights movement. Discrimination will continue to manifest itself for generations to come in unsightly ways, preying on the vulnerable and oppressed, but with Martin Luther King Junior’s ever-relevant example, we know that we are armed against it and are able to combat it, forever in hope of achieving peaceful equality for all.