View from a classroom at the university …….. Arriving in the US to see cities with no real public transportation systems (hello Florida! I am talking about you), English as the assumed language – where in Buenos Aires I heard Castellano, of course, along with Brazilian Portuguese, French, German and English on an almost daily basis, and the overall flat landscape- was a bit of a downer at first. Even so, seeing my friends and family again was very exciting.

One of my biggest fears about coming back from abroad is that I wouldn’t be able to fit back into my life here- and let me tell you that this is the furthest from the truth. A lot has happened since I have been gone, but I realized that I didn’t have to be physically present to be there for those that I love, thanks to modern technology.
I also never truly realized how little there is to do in my hometown. Living in a cosmopolitan center for over a semester made me used to conveniences that just aren’t available everywhere else. There is no longer a corner Kiosco open 24 hours a day 7 days a week on every corner. I don’t have the extensive bakery options that I once had- which may be a good thing. There are less green spaces and parks here in Central Florida that people actually use. In Buenos Aires, any green space was covered with people picnicking, drinking mate, or just playing with their dogs.
My time abroad did help me with my goals of language acquisition- in fact someone has already commented on my language skills, “qué  bella es tú español”. I do hope to be able to continue using Spanish here in the US.
The biggest lesson that I learned was an appreciation for myself. I used to feel that I constantly needed to be surrounded by people to be happy, but my time in a new place showed me that I can go places and do things with myself for fun as well.