The interface for commenting on a Blackboard assignment has changed from Crocodoc to Box. You can still access comments made before 2018, but you can no longer edit or delete them.
Below is a summary of changes you can expect with the current interface. Please note, however, the interface is being actively updated, and we will continue to update this page as changes are made.
Supported file types for commenting
- Word documents (.doc, .docx)
- Pdf files
- PowerPoint files (.ppt, .pptx)
- Images (.jpeg, .png)
Types of commenting available
- Point-based comments
- Highlight text with comment
- Highlight text only
Features no longer supported
- Downloading or printing the document with the annotations. The only way to view the comments will be to view them through Blackboard.
- Commenting on Excel files
- Strike through comment feature
- Multiple color options for highlighting
- Drawing on submissions
- Dragging or moving comments
- Editing comments once they are posted
- Copying the text in a comment once it is posted
User experience changes
- Users must click Post after typing a comment in order for it to be saved.
- To highlight text, users must first use their cursor to highlight the desired portion of text, then the highlight button will appear near the highlighted text.
- After posting a comment, another comment box will appear below the comment. Typing in this box creates a reply to the initial comment. If you don’t want to create a reply, ignore this box.
- To see the content of the point-based and highlight comments, users must hover over the highlight or comment icon. It does not automatically display.
- After uploading a file, a message displays that the file is being converted and it will take a certain amount of time. This screen does not automatically update. Users have to refresh the browser page to view the uploaded document.