Developing Blended Learning Strategies

Dana Hargrove Headshot

By Dana Hargrove

I applied Blended Learning strategies to my Art and Graphic Design classes, which allowed me to use classroom time to guide students through the application of skills, techniques, and processes. I created and edited video tutorials and voiceover PowerPoints, and I used a WordPress site to share these resources with my students.

What inspired you to implement this project?

Recently, Rollins College has been introducing Blended Learning strategies to improve student learning and institutional effectiveness. My course, ART 223 Graphic Design, seemed like an ideal candidate for this model. I used the FITI grant to research and learn how to create the content for this type of course.

What were the goals for this project?

• Learn the best tools and methods for the creation of online teaching videos.

• Create multiple online video tutorials/demos and guided instructions that are available for students on my course websites.

• Enhance and update my course websites to incorporate new video content.

• Discover the best current practices in Studio Art Blended Learning course design; in particular, video demos and tutorials for Art and Graphic Design.

• ‘Flip the classroom’ to allow time-consuming process-orientated instruction to be taught online.

• Complete the Rollins College Blended Learning Certification course.

• Develop tools to assess effectiveness of online videos.

Identify the tools used for this project.

Tools: Rollins College Blended Learning Certification Course. Information Technology and Librarian liaisons. Online tutorials on Youtube and Lynda.com: WordPress, I-movie, and Quicktime. WordPress.org. Software used: WordPress, I-movie, Quicktime, Keynote, Vimeo.

What pedagogical techniques, strategies, and/or philosophies did you employ?

2001 revision of Bloom’s Taxonomy ‘A Taxonomy for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment.’ Section III of A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching, and Assessing: A Revision of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, entitled “The Taxonomy in Use,” provides over 150 pages of examples of applications of the taxonomy. Although these examples are from the K-12 setting, they are easily adaptable to the university setting. I restructured my course, so that it would be more suitable for Blended Learning, by creating a more obvious progression of assignments and homework. I used the terminology of the Blooms Taxonomy and found this website to be particularly helpful: https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/blooms-taxonomy/ For Graphic Design 1, I decided to create my videos using Quicktime screen capture, editing them in I-movie, and uploading them to Vimeo. I used WordPress.org as my Content Management System, a blog-style website theme that gradually imparts the content and instructions to the students throughout the semester. Each video has the same style and ‘branding,’ cohering with the visuals of the website design and the syllabus. Control over the layout and design was one of the main reasons that I chose WordPress CMS and moved away from using Blackboard to house the course modules.

What were some of the lessons that you learned from implementing this project?

Day students appreciate the contact with professor! Only 500mb a week can be uploaded to Vimeo (for free). Making a video can be time intensive or very easy, depending on how much editing is needed. IT and the Library are helpful resources! To use a good microphone. Keep videos dateless and therefore timeless.

Dana Hargrove
Professor of Art

Dana Hargrove, born in Edinburgh, Scotland, graduated from Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee University, Scotland with a Bachelor of Fine Art with Honors in Painting. She continued her education in the USA with a Master of Fine Art from Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. Hargrove is currently a Professor of Studio Art at Rollins College, Winter Park, FL.