Bridging the Gap Between Graduate and Undergraduate Mental Health Education

Andrew Luchner Headshot

By Andrew Luchner

My project involved the integration of technology into my Psychotherapy class in order to allow for more seamless opportunities for both evaluation and feedback of mock and practice psychotherapy sessions.

What inspired you to implement this project?

I was inspired by students who professed interest in more opportunities for feedback and my desire to reduce barriers in the process of learning helping skills.

What were the goals for this project?

The expected outcome of this project was to have in place a flexible system that creates opportunities for more student practice of therapeutic skills and for feedback more accessible to students learning therapeutic skills. My hope was that students would be able to more effectively assess their progress and that I will be more effective in my ability to assess progress and provide constructive critique.

Identify the tools used for this project.

Resources included IT staff, video recording system (speaker, camera, hardware)

What pedagogical techniques, strategies, and/or philosophies did you employ?

Technology installed in the classroom allowed for both increased opportunity for summative and formative feedback, increasing skills-based learning. Reviewing performance has been found to be especially impactful when learning helping skills, and therefore decreasing impediments to recording and review were crucial components to the philosophy of the course.

What were some of the lessons that you learned from implementing this project?

I learned that there are numerous resources available to assist with integrating technology in the classroom and that students are adaptive in their ability to integrate technology into their coursework.

How did this endeavor change your teaching in expected or unexpected ways?

It allowed me to focus more on learning than I previously was able to do and allowed me to offer more opportunities for instruction outside the classroom (e.g. students wanting more feedback outside the confines of the laboratory).

What did you change (or would you change) the second time you implemented this project in class?

I included specific training on the use of the technology and I increased opportunities for students to have access to their work.

How did this project impact student learning?

Students indicated that the technology included in the laboratory/classroom space enhanced their learning and provided more opportunities to evaluate their work throughout the semester.

Is there anything in addition that you would share with other faculty about this project?

Lose no time and tap into the valuable resources and talents of the Rollins Instructional Design & Technology team. Your pedagogical dream will come to full fruition.

Andrew Luchner
Assistant Professor of Psychology

I am an Assistant Professor in the Psychology Department and a licensed Clinical Psychologist in Florida. I earned my B.A. in Clinical Psychology from Tufts University and my Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology from Georgia School of Professional Psychology. I teach classes that involve understanding and helping individuals who are experiencing psychological distress and dysfunction. I engage in research on personality and maintain a private practice.