Recipes

Wild Game Stuffed Peppers

Wild Game Stuffed Peppers

I’ve recently become fascinated by the horrors of large meat industries, and after watching several mind-blowing documentaries on Netflix, I have decided that I only want to eat meat when I know exactly where it came from and when. Unfortunately, since most of the food in grocery stores come from large factories, knowing these details about our food is hard and often unrealistic.

Luckily for me, my Dad goes on yearly hunting trips, so I have the chance to eat the real stuff a couple of times a year. These couple of times are what make me refrain from declaring myself a vegetarian, though I probably should. This year, my Dad ventured to Idaho and came back with an Elk, so my family has been blessed with super-fresh meat and an ample amount to experiment with. With the meat, my Mom has been trying different recipes. We’ve had Elk burgers, Elk chili, and Elk stew, along with the newest addition, one of my favorites, Elk stuffed peppers.

If you do not have access to wild meat, don’t hesitate to substitute the ground elk meat for organic meat such as ground beef or turkey.

The finished product!
Yields 6 large stuffed peppers

Ingredients

• 2 lbs. wild caught ground Elk
  • 2 eggs
  • A teaspoon of salt
  • A teaspoon of pepper
  • A teaspoon of garlic powder
  • 4 cups of red sauce (I use to homemade sauce from Mrs. Robino’s)
  • 6 organic, large, green bell peppers

Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 375°

2) Mix eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and the ground Elk meat together in a large bowl using a wooden spoon. Mix thoroughly until you have an even mixture.

3) Cut the tops off of the peppers and take out all of the insides, including the seeds.

4) Gently stuff the peppers with the meat mixture either using your hands or a small spoon.

5) Place the peppers on a baking tray, so that they are standing up. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes.

6) Take the peppers out of the oven and top generously with red sauce.

7) Continue to cook the peppers for another 40 minutes.

8) Take out the peppers, serve on cute plates, and enjoy. (:

Featured Image: “A-1692” by Mark Byzewski is licensed under CC BY 2.0