Ranking: Best of 1980s Disney

Here is my ranking of the Top 6 Disney movies of the 80s.

1. The Little Mermaid (1989)

This musical is one that any little girl will recommend to you. “Part of Your World” and “Under the Sea” are just a few of many classic disney songs. A love story for the ages, this movie is magical in every sense of the word. Fun Fact: This movie was first Disney movie to feature a song with steal drums.

LISTEN HERE

2. Tron (1982)

A personal favorite of mine. Sci-fi classic, perfect for video game-loving kids and adults who are also into computers. The 2010 remake with Jeff Bridges is also worth watching! Fun Fact: Tron was one of the first movies to make extensive use of any form of computer animation.

289

3. Oliver & Company (1988)

In this classic, a homeless kitten named Oliver joins a gang of dogs to survive on the 1980s New York City streets. The scenes with humans feature some interesting fashion styles and a backdrop of NYC. Fun Fact: Oliver & Company was the first animated Disney film to include real world advertised products (product placement!).

4. The Great Mouse Detective (1986)

This mystery film is unique and the classical narrative piano pieces richen the adventure that detective Basil of Baker Street and his trusty sidekick Dawson endure. Based on the great detective Sherlock Holmes, Basil will win you over with his charming and witty banter. Quoted to have the “best villainous breakdown ever”. Fun Fact: The main character was named after actor Basil Rathbone, who was renowned for portraying Sherlock Holmes in the 1940s.

5. The Black Cauldron (1985)

I was always sad that Princess Eilonwy was never considered a real Disney princess, however she still gave me unrealistic expectations for my hair. A little darker than most disney films, this movie is a magical world. Some parts remind me a lot of Lord of the Rings, but in child version. Fun Fact: It’s one of the only Disney movie not rated for all-ages.

Honey-I-Shrunk-The-Kids-pic-honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-30912384-1280-8426. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)

I hoped that the premise of this movie would become reality, and that world hunger could be ended by shrinking everyone in the world down to the size of a penny. Unfortunately, my dream has yet to come true but this movie is a baby-sitting classic. I am fan of the Giant Ant named Antie that saves Ross Jr and Amy. Fun Fact: The film was largely influenced by 1957 sci-fi film The Incredible Shrinking Man, starring Grant Williams.

HONORABLE MENTION: The Land Before Time (1988)

The tree stars are just simple beautiful. Takes be back to a pre-historic time.

Edit: The Land Before Time was actually distributed by Universal Pictures, but with executive producers Steven Spielberg and George Lucas working closely together, the movie is an instant classic.

2 thoughts on “Ranking: Best of 1980s Disney

1. Was THE LAND BEFORE TIME a Disney film though? I don’t think it was, although it had a boat load of sequels. In addition, we probably wouldn’t have had ICE AGE without it.

2. I was shocked to find out that it wasn’t a Disney film, but I thought it still deserved a place in my ranking. Hence, I only gave it an honorable mention!