“The Game” 1980 album by Queen

One of my favorite bands that was popular in the 1980’s is Queen. Therefore, I decided to listen to one of their first albums released during this time period. I found the album, The Game, which was released in the year 1980. I discovered that this album contained a handful of their most successful hits of their career. For example, it had the song (1) Crazy Little Thing Called Love, (2) Play the Game and (3) Another One Bites The Dust.

I read further into the history of the band while simultaneously enjoying the music from the album. I discovered several new facts about this album and the band through an article in the New York Times called “Freddie Mercury, 45, Lead Singer Of the Rock Band Queen, Is Dead” which honors Freddie Mercury after his death.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/25/arts/freddie-mercury-45-lead-singer-of-the-rock-band-queen-is-dead.html

For instance, this article remarked that the song Another One Bites The Dust from this album achieved the place of #1 on the pop-singles chart. I also learned that the peak of their popularity lasted from 1975-1980. This means that the album which I chose to listen to, The Game, was on the tail end of their fame.

Many of the songs from this album combine aspects of hard-rock, a bit of pop, some metal and occasionally a bit of opera. The songs featured strong underlying beats, such as in (4) Dragon Attack. This was done using mostly guitars and drums for accompaniment in this song. While the melody, on the other hand, was carried along with electric guitar and vocals.

While a lot of the songs were familiar to me from previously listening to an album that contained their greatest hits, I was happy to discover a few new songs I enjoyed as well. For instance, I really enjoyed one song called (5) Sail Away Sweet Sister. Discovering these new songs has inspired me look into more Queen albums in hopes of uncovering other treasures which I have not yet had the pleasure of uncovering.

Also, just because this is possibly my favorite meme ever and it relates to Queen….

Bohemian Rhapsody in memes.

One thought on ““The Game” 1980 album by Queen

1. And, of course, Queen may have hit its highest sense of popularity after the Mike Meyers’ film WAYNE’S WORLD, where he and his friends do “Bohemian Rhapsody” in the car. That scene introduced Queen to an entirely different audience.