“The Most Fun You’ll Ever Have Being Scared!”

I absolutely love horror movies. And with Halloween next week there’s no better time to indulge in them. So as I was scrolling through my Netflix I figured I would try to find a movie that kills two birds with one stone: watch a classic horror film, and watch an 80’s movie I’ve never seen before. That’s when I came across Creepshow (1982).

Godfather of Zombies George A. Romero (Night of the Living DeadDawn of the Dead) and Stephen King (It, The Shining, Carrie, Cujo) combine their efforts on this anthology film consisting of five separate stories, four of them coming from King’s own imagination. Truthfully, the stories are not very scary, but it also doesn’t really seem like the film is trying to scare its audience. Bookended by the story of a father throwing out his son’s comic book, the tales are meant to be ripped out of the book; the transitions/narration are literally panels from a comic book, so it’s as if the viewer is watching a live action comic.

The Creep is seen only briefly, and does not speak, but he is our guide into the world of Creepshow.

The comic vibe may not be for everyone, but as a recovering comic book addict I loved it. It made the film more fun and distanced it from traditional horror films. For instance people’s screams were backed up by a colorful background of lightning, far from what was being seen in other 80’s horror films like Friday the 13th and the Halloween franchise.

The cartoonish background comes out almost every time a character screams, just like a comic.

I would say that it also took away from the fear factor, but as I’ve already said the stories aren’t all that scary to begin with. Don’t get me wrong, some were good (Ted Danson and Leslie Nielsen rocked their story, and Hal Holbrook’s story was probably the best of the five), and others were just damn dumb (Stephen King showed us why he writes instead of acts), but scary is not a word I would use for any of them. But neither is goofy. It’s as if a perfect median was found between the two ideas.

Seriously, I felt like I was a kid reading a comic book again.

A few big names of the 80’s stood out among the B-List movie.

So, while it may not have been anything like the scary movies I fell in love with growing up, or even anything like the other Stephen King flicks I’ve seen, I would still definitely recommend Creepshow. It was fun without taking away from the horror aspect of it, unlike the Scary Movie franchise that took the idea of horror and completely replaced it with comedy. No, Creepshow proved that horror and humor can coexist without totally butchering each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6vtAmFnkA

2 thoughts on ““The Most Fun You’ll Ever Have Being Scared!”

1. The 80s offered a number of these type of movies and television shows. I think Showtime ran a series of scary stories. There was Twilight Zone the move which came out in the 80s, I believe, and Elvira came to notice in the 80s as well. The 80s also offered us a number of poorly done film adaptations of Stephen King novels.

2. I don’t Stephen King has ever been satisfied with an adaption of one of his stories haha. Personally I love The Shining as a book and as a film, but they are pretty different so I can understand why King wouldn’t like the film.

I know HBO had Tales from the Crypt which was kind of like a more gruesome Twilight Zone; I’ve been meaning to check it out.