On our visit to the archives I found a book tilted Freshman’s Don’t Book. This book is from 1935. It consists of 15 pages of tips and suggestions about the “right” and “wrong” things to do as a freshman at Rollins College. While reading this book, I found more “don’ts” than do’s. Two out of the many that really stuck out to me were “Don’t talk too much are too loudly when you arrive. The upperclassmen do not seem to appreciate it and the rest of the new arrivals may decide you are a Jonah” and the other one” Don’t forget you are expected to dress for dinner each evening and for Sunday dinner. A proper atmosphere is essential to pleasant, wholesome dining. Act as if you were accustomed to dining out”. When I first read the book, I thought it was a joke and then I did some more research and I found out that this helpful hand guide was a real thing back in 1935. I thought to myself, if I had to abide by these rules, I don’t know if I would have enjoyed college like I am enjoying it now. It was crazy to read what was expected of you and what not to do back then. Things have changed tremendously.

Davis, Milford J. Freshman’s Don’t Book Rollins College. Winter Park: Joint Auspices of ODK and LIBRA, 1935. Print.