My popular source this week is another article from Buzzfeed that discusses women’s role in film and how disadvantaged they actually are. Buzzfeed first talks about how women are portrayed on screen in the top 500 films. They results were;
- 30.8% of speaking characters were women
- 28.8% of women wore sexually revealing clothing as opposed to 7% of men
- 26.2% of women actors got partially naked as opposed to 9.4% of men do
- Average ratio of male actors to female actors is 2.25:1
- Percentage of female teenagers depicted with some nudity as increased 32.5% from 2007 to 2012.
Along with that, Buzzfeed discussed inequality in the industry of film which included statistics on the gender differences as directors, writers, producers, executive producers, editors and cinematographies. The results showed that men dominated all these fields, and in some cases, there was even a difference of 88%. They also compared the salary of actors and in 2013, the highest paid female actor, Angelina Jolie, made $33 million, roughly the same amount as the two lowest paid male actors. Furthermore, age appears to be a dominant factor in an actress’s monetary success compared to men.