“”Putting On” Sexiness: A Content Analysis of the Presence of Sexualizing Characteristics in Girl’s Clothing”

Child in a mini version of the adult model's bikini.

Child in a mini version of the adult model’s bikini.

Goodin, Samantha M., Alyssa Van Denburg, Sarah K. Murnen, and Linda Smolak. ““Putting On” Sexiness: A Content Analysis of the Presence of Sexualizing Characteristics in Girls’ Clothing.” Sex Roles 65.1 (2011): n. pag. Springer Link. Web. 25 Oct. 2016. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11199-011-9966-8

In this article, these authors analyzed children’s clothing, and how sexualized they were.  They looked at clothing for all minors in multiple store, to get a variety.  They discovered that about  30% of children’s clothing is being sexualized through cuts, fabrics, patterns, etc.  The other approximately 70 percent is classified as being only made to be childlike.  They also narrowed it down, saying that the majority of the sexualized clothing is primarily found in the tween’s clothing section, being the oldest section that they analyzed.  This makes sense when thinking about it.  Teens for a while have been wearing the most sexual clothing, and before that it was people in their 20s, the age is lowering, but not skipping age groups.  This shows how our society works, once it has sexualized the majority of an age group, it plays off of the want of a child to look and act old, to start selling sexualized clothes to the next age group of people.  It is also an interesting article, because it is written by two of the authors that authored a prior source of mine about self-sexualization.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *