Once I began to write paper 3, continuing my research became a lot easier. This is because I was able to “go with the flow,” more, so to speak, and see where my writing took me. Based off of where my writing went, I was able to find sources to support my argument much easier than before when I wasn’t completely sure of the direction of my paper. – Danielle Marks

Continuing my research on the subject of collegiate sports and their effect on student-athletes, I used Google rather than the Olin Library database to see what was available. Although scholarly sources are highly researched, the opinions of the public are very relevant in this particular case, as many of the misconceptions about student-athlete development are found on a larger, more general scale. That being said, I found the source used in my post “Testament to Collegiate Sports and Success,” online and examined the points made in the article to show the reader how the positive effects of collegiate sports benefit student-athletes in the long run. The source was relatively easy to find, and although peer-reviewed journals and data may be more hard-hitting, the overarching themes mentioned in this article properly portray the beliefs had by those well informed on the matter. – Peter Finegan

This was an interesting article to use in my paper because it talks about some negatives about sports, but it was a fantastic reason as to why student-athletes should be able to schedule classes earlier than normal students. I’ve enjoyed that part of this paper so far; since it’s my argument, I can use any argument as long as I can support my claim and my thesis in some way. I don’t think I’d be able to use this article if it weren’t for us writing paper 2. This is a perfect example of synthesis. It is taking the entire conversation and using it to support my thesis even though alone, the article would seem to oppose my claim. –Ben Johnston